With the economy in the dumpster and moral at an all time low, what can be done to add more stability in regard to your career? Here are five action steps that will definitely tip the scales back in your direction. I greatly stress you to take immediate action! Doing so will not only increase your job security, but will also give you the emotional elation of being 1 step closer to controlling your future.
1) TAKE STOCK OF YOURSELF – It can be quite scary to actually take an honest look at ones self. I do it quite often these days, but it wasn’t always this easy for me. Deep introspection requires emotional strength and fortitude. The more you can be honest about your strengths, weaknesses, as well as the affect you have on others and your feelings toward others, the faster you will grow and advance in life.
Since this article is directed towards your job/career, let’s start this way. This exercise is directed towards self-discovery. Where you begin in this process may not be where you end up, and that’s the whole idea!
- Write a list of things you do well at and under them write a few ways you could do even better.
- Write a list of things that you are not good with, and then write a few ways you could excel in each.
“As you are critiquing yourself, I’d like you to consider having a sit down with your bosses to constructively discuss ways in which you can increase your contribution to the company.“
2) EFFICIENCY AND CONSISTENCY – Once you have taken stock of yourself, you should have a much clearer direction to forge. You might be thinking, OK sounds cool so far but I just added 10 more things I need to do in order to “make myself indispensable” when I’m already working an extra few hours a day and not getting paid for the overtime.
Do not fret! The whole idea is not to work harder! It’s not to work longer hours! Although, you may choose to after you learn these secrets. Working smarter, more efficiently, more consistently, and more happily, while also reducing your stress and the stress of people around you should be your target. Sounds like a tall order….. Not really! All else being equal, the people that are the most efficient greatly increase their odds of success, especially in a recession.
Of the tasks you do daily, what can you do to increase your efficiency while decreasing your stress with each of them? Write them down! You must write everything down! State each challenge, and then list many ways to increase your efficiency and effectiveness for each. Then narrow down your list to one or two for each, and then take immediate action!
3) CONTINUED EDUCATION & IMPROVEMENT – You and you alone are responsible for your career. A huge part of making yourself indispensible is a never ending commitment to education and improvement.
Here’s a few ideas:
First and foremost, develop a strong forward momentum. Get excited about your education. After all, it’s a huge part of your ticket to moving up.
Set aside some time each day, even if it’s just 20 minutes, to dedicate to your education.
Learn as much as you can about your career, as well as other tasks that may not be in your job description. Just make sure you aren’t stepping on any ones toes.
Read books, take seminars, download podcasts to your ipod, learn from people who excel in areas you aspire to.
It’s a great idea to keep your bosses abreast of your progress. Not only will measurable progress keep you upbeat and creative, But in practical terms, your boss needs to know what his department is accomplishing, so he has ammunition if someone wants to chop it in half.
4) Set 30-day and 60-day goals – This will help you create momentum by the completion of milestones. An example of a few 30 day goals might be: Learn how to type proficiently, learn a new software program like Adobe Photoshop, or attend a class on internet marketing.
5) Keep a positive mental attitude – I know what you’re thinking, “everyone says that”. Here’s how you maintain a positive mental attitude?
“a) Have 9 – 12 months living expenses saved.
b) Stay healthy by keeping your weight under control, eating right, and exercising at least 3 days a week.
c) Keep your stress to a minimum. Study how to do so. I personally take 15-30 minutes a day to do relaxation exercises. Meditation is the ultimate stress reliever.“
By not adhering to this doctrine, you give your power away to outside forces. Spend 30 minutes a day honing your craft. Also broaden your education to include areas of your company that do not fall within your job description but that could help propel you higher and higher in the organization. Or prepare you to move into a higher position at another institution.
“Make this year the best year you’ve ever had! It’s all by design!!“
Steven Arecco is available for lecturing on a multitude of business and personal development topics. Those topics can be found at www.stevenarecco.com. Apart from his time on stage, Steven is happy to support the event with any social or other interactions such as dinners or group activities. He will do everything within his ability to contribute to the success of your event, every time.